Having recently been made aware of some information on the BGOS Greens facebook page regarding the resurrection of said EDA after several years of total silence (but no such information on the website) I felt I should make a few observation and recommendations to whomever lands up leading them out of obscurity. For those who not aware whilst not 'active' with the local greens in the usual sense of the word I was partly instrumental in building this website as it currently exists and for some time tried to post some new content on a regular basis to keep it 'alive', with little interest shown by any members in 2016 I gave up those efforts. I was pleased to see however that the Webmaster has continued to renew the registration and maintained the site for future use, thanks Trevor I do hope that both the local and national Greens appreciate you dedication.
First a little history about my involvement, back in 2009 shortly after joining the GPC and meeting a number of the (then active) local greens I became aware of the limitations of the information available on line and started trying to increase their presence in that regard. Along with our webmaster (who already had a minimal web site on line) and several other members we developed a more robust site. That eventually led to the the site as it now stands, started in 2003 which site at this time shows the entire history of our online activity since that time. Unfortunately it has not IMHO been used to it fullest extent (or for that matter at all) in recent years, I do hope that this is about to change in a major way. Folks looking for information and seeing nothing but outdated posts will simply assume the organization is defunct and in that regard they have seemingly been correct!
As someone who has been monitoring and reading EVERY post and comment on the GBOS website for over 10 years I feel that I may have a small insight into that portion of the local Greens successes and failures in that regard and so here are my recommendations for those that are now making noises about bringing it back to life.
1) You have a web site, USE IT. Post regular new items, preferably appropriate local items but if not anything suitable is better than nothing.
2) Select a few active members you trust and give them the access to contribute to the front page, it cannot be up to just the exec to keep it fresh.
3) Make a concerted effort to encourage members, particularly new members, to contribute to the 'Member Forum' where they can express their views and ideas.
4) Make a point of making members aware that they can do the above once they enable their registration, email members occasional information on how to do that and encourage use.
5) Investigate more fully integrating website and facebook so posts on either show up on both (there is a LINK to FB on the front page but no synopsis of content)
6) Update and use the 'subscribe to our newsletter' utility to contact members who wish to know more regularly.
7) Ensure that you update the 'contact' list on the web page to reflect the latest changes in executive and administration.
8) Communication, communication, communication!
On a more personal note......
Whilst I continue to support the Green Party of Canada in broad terms and do hope to see more Greens in parliament come the fall election I will not be active locally either personally or on line and will be removing my name as co-administrator of our website in the near future. I simply no longer have the desire or ability to effectively assist those who may choose to use this resource to promote the Green cause now or in the future, I would encourage the new exec to find someone to assist our longstanding webmaster in filling that role.
Finally …...For those who like myself do not use facebook here is a short clip from their recent post there...
Saturday April 27th has been selected as the day when eligible Party members, in good standing 30 days in advance, will select our BGOS Green Party Candidate for the 2019 Federal Election.
Our BGOS EDA AGM will also take place on April 27th at the same venue as our candidate selection. Further details of the full program for April 27th to be announced on March 27th, or very soon thereafter...
Good luck to all concerned I will NOT be attending!